In May 1947, M.K. R.E.S Yeldham, C.B.E assumed duty as Civil Commissioner.
As such Mr Yeldham had quasi-prefectorial powers, that is “he was the principal administrative and executive officer of the Government in this district and responsible for coordinating the whole machinery of Government by ensuring corporation between the district departmental officers”.
The winds of change that had been blowing during this period in local democracy culminated in December 1951 into the enactment of two historic acts, ordinances 75 & 76. These ordinances made provisions for the creation of the Pamplemousses Riviere du Rempart District and Village Councils.